Hello, welcome to the Deep Silver FISHLABS forums!
Please carefully attend our rules and in all time-sensitive cases please contact our support. We hope you enjoy sharing your thoughts with other players.
Herring

Herring
Unread post iPod touch 5G lacks power. by Mzh3000 » 18. January 2013 23:45
I was so excited about my iPod touch 5 when I got it. Now I am just dissapointed. Same old processing power as the iPhone 4S, now powering a higher resolution because of extra screen.

Galaxy on fire 2 Hd has lags here and there. The gamma shield twitches when your game stutters a bit, and it happens a lot of the time. The lag is especially noticeable near vosk stations, and I am guessing I can blame the same old ram for the constant crashes when hitting the pause button. I use the secondary selection screen to pause.

But it's not just this game, even order & chaos by game loft lags, and crashes. I got a game called repulze. They optimized the crap outa it to get it to run at 60fps. Pretty nice! But if you own an iPhone 5 you get shiny reflections on your craft, and effects to make your speed more evident.....

So basically new games that come out like this and that new racing game showed off at release. ARE FOR THE IPHONE 5!!!!! If you own a brand new just released highest you can buy iPod touch?? You have to use lower quality versions that still lag and crash like crazy. What's up with that? As far as I know even the 1GB of ram wouldn't have costed much more.

Then again if its a few pennies extra multiplied by millions of sales. I guess it does matter. They make about near 100$ per sale of one I think, and some from app sales.

If you are going to advertise as a mobile gaming device, dont give it half the power.

Would have definitely payed more if I could have gotten a version with the A6, the a5 gets much more battery life. It seems if a game isn't lagging then it won't eat the battery. But that's lower quality games that at my iPod touch 4g's battery. Faster and more efficient is right so far....

I heard they might have trouble fitting the slightly bigger a5 into slim iPods. So I figured the a6 is smaller, they might use that. WRONG!!! I think making the device longer made up for that. At least they did upgrade the battery as well.

Rant over
Herring

Herring
Device / OS:
iPod touch 5G, iPad 4
Unread post Re: iPod touch 5G lacks power. by OrdinarySpacePilot » 19. January 2013 01:37
Ipod touch 5G has the SoC of the iPhone 4S but it is downclocked a bit (1GHz -> 800MHz). Add a 18,3% bigger display and therefore reduce the graphic power too, boom you got your iPod touch 5. Why did you buy it? I bought mine because I wanted the 16:9 display and a (slightly) more powerful iPhone 4S would have costed 260€ more for 16GB less storage. Adding to that, if you wanted the A6, you should have bought a iPhone 5 right away. Why should they sell a iPod which HAS to be worse than the iPhone for marketing reasons with the same hardware for less than half the price? ;)

And about the lags.
My iPad 4, with its killer A6X chip, only rivaled by the newly uncovered Tegra 4 (which is only 5% faster), also can't handle stutter-free GOF2 HD at the default resolution. Get near a station or watch a vessel explode up close (right inside your camera) or get shot by 2 people and see the nice projectile hit explosion-effect and it stutters. My iPad 1 could handle GOF2 SD nicely and it only had a A4 chip :)

And look at the other options. A iPod touch 4 can't even handle GOF2 HD (trust me) and the iPhones are too costly. Compare it to a iPhone 5 and it sure does look like sh*t but that is because it, along with the Galaxy SIII, is the most powerful smartphone/handheld/mobile entertainment and gaming system of today.

What did you expect?
Shrimp

Shrimp
Unread post Re: iPod touch 5G lacks power. by jjwang » 19. January 2013 02:18
Feel sorry for you man...

Apple now gives me a feeling that they are just trying to suck every single dollar/ pound from their fan's pocket. I mean they release the next generation, which doesn't have much hardware improvement, every 6-7 month? Honestly, I don't think anyone will need to upgrade their device for every generation... i would say every 2 gen if you have the money, but even 3-4 gen still do.

And personally, if I have to use Apply products only, I will only buy iPhone and iPad. iPhone for mobile, internet and music, iPad for gaming and paper work.

I understand that a group of people would like to do everything with just 1 device, but due to battery and other problem, I just won't do that.

btw I have ipod 4g, samsung galaxy s2 and ipad 2 and this combination well works for me.
Herring

Herring
Unread post Re: iPod touch 5G lacks power. by Mzh3000 » 19. January 2013 08:31
Yah I had an iPod touch 4g. I tried GoF HD. Gl running that. It had trouble with the sd version.

I guess I shouldn't be upset. It is a huge improvement. I sorta wish they had given it a bit more ram to keep the. Crashes from occurring.

Why did they downclock it??
Herring

Herring
Device / OS:
iPod touch 5G, iPad 4
Unread post Re: iPod touch 5G lacks power. by OrdinarySpacePilot » 19. January 2013 11:37
They downlocked it either because they are really mean to their customers or because they want a bigger performance gap between the iPhone 4S and the iPod touch 5G.

I am really thankful for the ram upgrade. Look, they gave only 1 GB to their top iPad. I moved from a iPad 1 (A4, 256MB RAM) to a iPad 4 (A6X, 1GB RAM) and I can't complain. All the Websites that originally stopped loading after filling up the 256 MBs or immediately closed when you exited the browser are now functioning properly and even stay loaded when you switch from safari to a game (like GoF 2 HD). And I don't think the RAM is a factor for the amount of crashes. Sometimes GOF 2 HD even crashes on the iPad 4.

But the improvements the iPod touch 5 has over the 4 (my 4 got stolen...) are quite huge. It starts within 20 seconds, has the bigger screen and is really noticeable thinner and lighter. Also, at least for my iPod 5, the battery doesnt have a "bug" where it goes down to 20% when you start a demanding game and then goes up to the original charge status of the battery when you close the app. That really bugged me - no pun intended - with the iPod 4 and 2. And overall, the 5 just feels much faster when opening apps, loading websites or doing whatever you can do with it.

Returning to the thread title, the iPod touch 5 does lack power when compared to the iPhone 4S (or the iPhone 5 which is totally another league). Only a little, but still that much that it is noticeable. Compare it to previous iPhones and iPod touches and it doesn't make such a bad appearance. Be happy with what you got, they didn't promise you a breakthrough device, they just said it would be faster than the old iPod which is absolutely true.
Dolphin

Dolphin
Unread post Re: iPod touch 5G lacks power. by Cre8r Shipyards » 19. January 2013 18:06
I think it rocks. Was mad that it didn't stack up to the iphone, though.
Herring

Herring
Device / OS:
iPod touch 5G, iPad 4
Unread post Re: iPod touch 5G lacks power. by OrdinarySpacePilot » 19. January 2013 18:59
It rocks for the price it costs compared to other products in the apple universe, yeah. And iPods have a unique place in the rows of mobile devices. They are multimedia internet gaming devices, smartphones without phones.
Shark

Shark
Device / OS:
iPod 4G
Unread post Re: iPod touch 5G lacks power. by Ninja » 19. January 2013 23:59
Do a bit of tweaking and you also get the phone >:D Not endorsing anything here, just saying its worth noting that basically the newer iPods are just iPhones without the phone
Herring

Herring
Device / OS:
Unread post Re: iPod touch 5G lacks power. by Car » 12. July 2013 17:28
So they are i's?